As of today, the “Main Line” refers to the western suburbs of Philadelphia that run along Lancaster Avenue (U.S. Route 30) and the former main line of the Pennsylvania Railroad (including its branch line to Manayunk), and that extend from the city limits to, traditionally, Bryn Mawr and eventually Paoli, a total area of approximately 200 square miles.
What are the different neighborhoods and divisions of the city of Philadelphia?
- Center City.
- South Philadelphia.
- Southwest Philadelphia.
- West Philadelphia.
- Lower North Philadelphia.
- Upper North Philadelphia.
- Bridesburg-Kensington-Port Richmond.
- 1 Why is it called the Mainline in Philadelphia?
- 2 What is the wealthiest suburb of Philadelphia?
- 3 Is the main line a good place to live?
- 4 Where should I live on the Main Line in PA?
- 5 What does the Main Line mean?
- 6 Is Malvern the Main Line?
- 7 Is the main line rich?
- 8 Where do millionaires hang out in Philadelphia?
- 9 What township is Manayunk in?
- 10 Is Newtown Square considered Main Line?
- 11 Where does the Philly accent come from?
- 12 Is Ardmore on the Main Line?
Why is it called the Mainline in Philadelphia?
Main Line refers to the Pennsylvania Railroad railroad line that was constructed in the region beginning during the 1850s, which is where the name comes from. The majority of the little towns were first established by prominent Philadelphia families who built summer houses “away from the city” but utilized the freshly constructed train to commute back and forth between the two cities.
What is the wealthiest suburb of Philadelphia?
Known as “America’s Birthplace,” Old City is the most historically significant and wealthy neighborhood in Philadelphia.
- Old City has a population of 6,500 people and is divided into three zip codes: 19106, 19107, and 19123. The typical household income in Old City is $87,400, while the median home price in Old City is $389,000. A guide to living in Philadelphia’s historic Old City.
Is the main line a good place to live?
Many of the Main Line communities are frequently listed as some of the greatest locations to live in Pennsylvania, and this is especially true in recent years. As a result of the physical beauty of the lush green streets, parks, and gardens on the Main line, it is also home to a number of well-known attractions, retail malls, exceptional schools, and an abundance of chances for family entertainment.
Where should I live on the Main Line in PA?
Neighborhoods on the Main Line That Are Worth Visiting
- Bryn Mawr.
What does the Main Line mean?
first and foremost, a major roadway or railroad route the primary artery and vein of the cardiovascular system, in colloquial use
Is Malvern the Main Line?
Malvern is one of the larger towns on the Main Line in terms of size and population. Along with the train station, the little municipality is home to various historic structures and independently owned businesses. The core area has a more Main Line vibe to it, while the surrounding neighborhoods are more suburban.
Is the main line rich?
They provided the setting for vast country homes belonging to Philadelphia’s richest families, and over time, they established themselves as a stronghold of “old money.” Today, the Main Line is home to some of the richest towns in the country, including Gladwyne, Villanova, Radnor, and Ardmore, among other places.
Where do millionaires hang out in Philadelphia?
In Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, there are several great pubs where you may meet wealthy men.
- $$ Karaoke, lounges, and Chinese food at Lair KTV | Sky Club (0.7 mi).
- The Ranstead Room (0.2 mi), which has 478 reviews.
- Attico Rooftop Lounge (0.5 mi), which has 207 reviews.
- Hop Sing Laundromat (0.8 mi), which has 898 reviews.
- Talula’s Garden (1.0 mi), which has 0.2 mi
- 1 Tippling Place (0.2 mi).
What township is Manayunk in?
Getting to Where You Want to Go. Bryn Mawr Hospital is a community hospital located just outside of Philadelphia, in the center of the Main Line. It is located off Lancaster Avenue, near to downtown Bryn Mawr.
Is Newtown Square considered Main Line?
Newtown Square is more of an area than a town, despite the fact that it is not technically a part of Philadelphia’s Main Line. It encompasses three separate school districts and is geographically dispersed around the state.
Where does the Philly accent come from?
However, this accent, which has its origins in the working-class Irish and Italian communities of south Philadelphia, is not exclusive to this city. Souther New Jersey, northern Delaware, and sections of Maryland are home to the Mid-Atlantic dialect, which is formally designated as the “Mid-Atlantic dialect.”
Is Ardmore on the Main Line?
We are a community that is quite proud of itself! Ardmore is quite accessible, whether you’re traveling from Philadelphia (which is only nine miles away), the Main Line, or even Manhattan. Ardmore is easily accessible by foot because to the presence of SEPTA and Amtraktrains stops here on a daily basis. Explore Ardmore and take advantage of everything this wonderful town has to offer!