What is it about Pope Francis’s journey to Philadelphia that is so noteworthy?
- “He has a magnetic personality that not only appeals to Catholics, but to the universal masses,” said one observer of Pope Francis’ visit to Philadelphia, which had been months in the planning. “He has a magnetic personality that not only appeals to Catholics, but to the universal masses,” added another.
- 1 What will the pope visit in Philadelphia?
- 2 Did the pope come to Philadelphia?
- 3 When did the pope visit Philly?
- 4 What church did Pope Francis visit in Philadelphia?
- 5 When did the pope come to Washington DC?
- 6 How old is Pope Francis?
- 7 Who was the first pope to visit the United States?
- 8 Which popes have visited the United States?
What will the pope visit in Philadelphia?
The World Meeting of Families will be held in Philadelphia from September 22-27, with Pope Francis making a stop in our city for the final two days of the weeklong event. Approximately 1.5 million people are expected to travel down the Benjamin Franklin Parkway on Sunday afternoon, and “The People’s Pope” will lead liturgy for them.
Did the pope come to Philadelphia?
Washington, D.C., New York City (where he paid a visit to the United Nations), and Philadelphia, which hosted the World Meeting of Families, were the destinations for his trip to the United States. Tickets to attend public events with the Pope were either difficult to come by or sold out in a short period of time.
When did the pope visit Philly?
The Pope visited Philadelphia on September 26 and 27, 2015, for the World Meeting of Families, marking his first official visit to the country. The city had anticipated a crowd of around 2 million people, but it had difficulty booking hotel rooms, and demand for public transportation was lower than typical that weekend.
What church did Pope Francis visit in Philadelphia?
There will be two Masses held during Pope Francis’ 2015 visit to Philadelphia. The first will take place on September 26 at 10:30 a.m. in the Cathedral Basilica of Saints Peter and Paul for local religious and others who have received special invitations.
When did the pope come to Washington DC?
Pope Francis lands at Joint Base Andrews in Washington, D.C., at 4:00 p.m. on Tuesday, September 22nd.
How old is Pope Francis?
Francis celebrates his 85th birthday today, making him one of history’s oldest popes at a critical time for Catholics. In September, Pope Francis met with priests, seminarians, and catechists in Bratislava, Slovakia, as part of the World Meeting of Families.
Who was the first pope to visit the United States?
After being invited by Secretary-General U Thant to address the United Nations in New York on October 4, 1965, Pope Paul VI paid his first official visit to the United States on October 4, 1965, when he arrived in the city.
Which popes have visited the United States?
Additional visits by Pope John Paul II to the United States occurred in 1987, 1993, 1995, and 1999; these visits were in addition to his 1979 visit. In 2015, Pope Francis paid a visit to the United States.